Sunday, June 17, 2012

Boom Chicka Boom

On Friday I met WILS.  WILS is short for Wisconsin Leadership Seminars, and has made my mind feel at home.  We started very early in the morning on Friday, June 15th.  We then proceeded to get a rather invigorating presentation by Paul Wesselmann, a rather refreshing human being to be around.  He taught me that sometimes I have to go out of my comfort zone to be successful, and maybe I'll try that.  Maybe I'll start surrounding myself with people that are different than me, people that process their thoughts in a different way than mine.
This speech was amazing, but we were later then organized into our small groups that were represented by countries.  I was in Ireland and so were six other people.  My mind couldn't help but automatically judge them by what they were wearing, what shoes they had on, and just their faces in general.  This happens to everyone, no matter how much of a leader you are.  Being a strong leader means that you don't take those judgments into action and you treat everyone equally though.
Our group dynamic warmed up very quickly as we started to feel more comfortable around each other, and sooner than later we were like a family.  We shared many things with each other that I don't think we could have shared with people from our school.  It was nice to feel like I belonged to a family and have people proud of me.  I hope I see these people again because they really are close to my heart.
All of the activities that we did will impact me for the rest of my life, even if it's because of something somebody said during the activity or because of the activity itself.  I can't wait to go to all of the reunions and be a part of WILS for the rest of my life.

 Where there's a WILS there's a way. -Darin Eich

No comments:

Post a Comment